Da Scent

This is my first real attempt at an on-line journal. It'll be parts political, parts personal, parts other. I'll try to keep it interesting, whatever I write. Feedback is appreciated...

UPDATE: Ok, I've taken a step to avoid spammers. So anyone can post comments again, you'll just have to do a word verification first. No big deal, just a minor pain in the ass, courtesy of the fucktards.

Name:
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Aspiring novelist (hey, write, call or e-mail if you can hook me up with a literary agent...no hurries though, I've only just started).

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Sweep...again

I'm officially addicted to the 2005 Baltimore Orioles. I can not get enough of them. I spend the hours between games counting the time until they play again. I know their record by heart (17-7). I know how many games in a row they've won (8), I know how many games ahead of the Red Sox and Blue Jays they are (4), how many games they are ahead of the Yankees (7.5) and Devil Rays (9.5). I know that they lead the League in runs scored, hits, home runs, stolen bases, batting average, sluggin percentage, OPS, extra-base hits, total bases, most Ks by their pitchers, fewest Ks by their hitters, and save conversion percentage. I know that Miguel Tejada is leading the League in home runs and RBI, and that he and Brian Roberts are in the top 5 in each of the three triple crown categories.

I also know that when Manny Ramirez hit a 3-run homer that put the Red Sox up 8-3 over the Orioles in the 4th inning a week ago, I didn't dare turn off the TV, because this team is special, and that something extraordinary might happen. And you know what? It did. I know that the morning after that game a guy called up the Mark Vivano Show and told him how his daughter's team had lost a softball game that evening, and they turned on the O's game, and what they did made it all better.

I know that baseball is my favorite sport, that the Orioles are my favorite team - the Skins a distant second - and that it has wrenched my heart to see them be so bad for so long. I know that this town has the most abused baseball fans in the country, and yet they keep coming back, because they love the sport and they love their team.

I don't know how long they can keep this up, but I do know I'm ready to ride it out as long as they can keep going.

I have a feeling this is going to be one magic summer. Why Not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home