Da Scent

This is my first real attempt at an on-line journal. It'll be parts political, parts personal, parts other. I'll try to keep it interesting, whatever I write. Feedback is appreciated...

UPDATE: Ok, I've taken a step to avoid spammers. So anyone can post comments again, you'll just have to do a word verification first. No big deal, just a minor pain in the ass, courtesy of the fucktards.

Name:
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Aspiring novelist (hey, write, call or e-mail if you can hook me up with a literary agent...no hurries though, I've only just started).

Monday, May 23, 2005

4 Movie Reviews

Since I blogged last, I've seen four movies that I had not seen before, two at the movies and two on DVD. I'll review them in the order I saw them:

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy ***
First, it should be noted that I am a huge fan of the books. When I saw the trailer for the first time, I was simultaneously enthused and apprehensive. Enthused because the books were classics, and if the movie did the book any justice, it would be one of the best movies I'd see this year. Apprehensive because if it was a bad movie, it would be doubly so, considering the original source.

I walked out of the theatre feeling relieved, becuase the movie, while not being great by any stretch, did not whip it out and piss all over the good name that is Hitchhiker's. The cast was very good (although it could have used a couple more English accents, especially from Mos Def and the lady who played Trillian). The special effects ranged from very good to fantastic, especially the Vogons and the inside of the planet factory. The romance angle between Arthur and Trillian should have been a tad more subtle, and the movie must have been very disorientating to anyone who hadn't read the books (although, if that's the case, fuck you, go read the goddam books...). I wasn't blown away by the film like I was with the books, but they did make a picture worth watching.

Garden State ***1/2

The best of the four movies. I was astonished to find out that this movie was written, directed, and starred in by the guy from Scrubs. Both he and Natalie Portman were amazing, the script was fantastic, the story was compelling, the characters were real. If you haven't seen it, go rent it. It's a good couple movie, too.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith ***

This movie was thiiiiiiiiis close to being a classic like the first three. The difference - the big difference - was the screenplay. Like the first two prequels, George Lucas insisted on writing the screenplay, which simply is not where his talents lie. If he could have checked his ego and given someone else the go-ahead to write the dialogue, than all three of these movies - and certainly this last one - could have stood up to the original series.

As it is, this is by far the best of the prequel movies. The special effects were dazzling - once again - and the story and characters were compelling. Even though we all knew the end of the movie before we set foot in the theatre, we were still very inetersted in seeing how everything unfolded. Worth seeing.

Saved! ***

Three stars for a Mandy Moore film? I was as shocked as you are, but Moore was great in this movie. Written and directed by a UMBC grad, this movie did a great job of capturing the Christian subculture here in the US. In other words, these people are freaks, and it was pretty well documented in the film. Worth watching by any normal person.

Ok new Minesweeper times:

Beginner - 6 seconds
Intermediate - 47 seconds
Expert - 176 seconds

I'll note here that Dave - yes, the Pat Sajak Dave - reported a time of 5 seconds on Beginner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home