Da Scent

This is my first real attempt at an on-line journal. It'll be parts political, parts personal, parts other. I'll try to keep it interesting, whatever I write. Feedback is appreciated...

UPDATE: Ok, I've taken a step to avoid spammers. So anyone can post comments again, you'll just have to do a word verification first. No big deal, just a minor pain in the ass, courtesy of the fucktards.

Name:
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Aspiring novelist (hey, write, call or e-mail if you can hook me up with a literary agent...no hurries though, I've only just started).

Monday, April 25, 2005

K-L-G Movie Awards - Final Results - Fantasy Baseball

Last week I announced the Finalists for the movie awards from my personal DVD collection. As you'll recall this was the third step in a process that started with 8 Nominees for each category, and then that list was cut to 4 Semi-finalists, and then to the 2 Finalists.

Now we have only the winners to announce. So, without further ado:

Best Supporting Actress
Winner: Minnie Driver - Good Will Hunting
Runner-Up: Anjelica Huston - The Royal Tennenbaums

First of all, I'm not going to say that this was a tough category, because all of the categories were tough. So, just let that go without being said for here on out. And it is certainly no knock on Huston, nor any of the other nominees, for that matter, that she (they) didn't get chosen. But Driver's performance was superb, and the fact that she wasn't able to use this performance to springboard into becoming one of Hollywood's biggest starlets is simply a shame.

Best Supporting Actor
Winner: Morgan Freeman - The Shawshank Redemption
Runner-Up: John Goodman - The Big Lebowski

This may have been the toughest category (Best Actor, Best Director the other two which stood out as excessively tough), from the first cut right on down to the last. I love movies where the supporting characters are as dynamic and interesting as the leads, and that really showed in the list of great supporting perfomances from which I had to choose. But Freeman here was ultimately the best choice. Here is one of the finest actors ever to grace the screen, in my opinion, in what is, also in my opinion, his career defining performance. His speech at the very end of the movie ranks among the finest monologues ever produced by Hollywood, and it puts a tear in the eye of anyone with a pulse every time, no matter how many times they have heard it. And anybody who knows how much I lived Goodman in Lebowski can tell you that for me to give this to someone else is proof of how great that other performance must have been.

Best Original Screenplay
Winner: Ethan Coen & Joel Coen - The Big Lebowski
Runner-Up: Ben Affleck & Matt Damon - Good Will Hunting

Jesus Quintana: Are you ready to be fucked, man? I see you rolled your way into the semis. Dios mio, man. Liam and me, we're gonna fuck you up.
The Dude: Well, that's just, like, you opinion, man.
Jesus: And let me tell you something pandejo, you try any of that psycho stuff on us, you flash your piece out on the lanes, I'll take it from you and shove it up your ass and pull the trigger till it goes click.
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus: You said it, man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus.
Walter: 8-year olds, dude.

'Nuff said.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Winner: Frank Darabont - The Shawshank Redemption (Short Story by Stephen King)
Runner-Up: Alex Cox, Tod Davies, Terry Gilliam, & Tony Grisoni - Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas (Novel by Hunter S. Thompson)

Remember that monologue I talked about, the one that ranks right up there with the greatest in Hollywood history? Well, this is where it came from. As well as about 5 others that are almost as memorable.

Best Lead Actress
Winner: Annette Benning - American Beauty
Runner-Up: Frances McDormand - Fargo

Choosing between these two performances is like choosing Best in Show at the Westminster Dog Show. Both are so good that no one would blame you for picking either of them, but at the same time both are so good that it is insanely difficult to choose which one is best. This is probably the toughest category to choose between the two Finalists. I knew from the moment I made the list of nominees which two it would come down to, and so picking between them became a 3-week project. Honestly, I couldn't tell you what about Benning's performance was better than McDormand's, and I don't think that there is any way that McDormand could have been better in her movie. I guess it was Benning, flat on her back with her ankles around her ears yelling "FUCK ME, YOUR MAJESTY!" that put her over the top. But honestly it's a completely arbitrary decision. That said, I'm happy with my pick.

Best Actor
Winner: Johnny Depp - Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas
Runner-Up: Edward Norton - Fight Club

You know how hard it is for me to pick against my favorite actor in one of my favorite movies? Insanely difficult. But let me tell you a story:

I showed my mom Fear & Loathing once. That's the only time she's ever watched it, start to finish. I mentioned to her that Depp's character was based on a real person. One day she was watching TV, and I was in another room. She called me into the room where she was watching TV, because Hunter S. Thompson was being interviewed on TV. Now, she had no idea who Thompson was - she had never heard of him. But she knew, from seeing Depp portray him one time, exactly who he was, because Depp did such a marvelous job in his portrayal. Now, how do you not pick that?

Best Director
Winner: Quentin Tarantino - Kill Bill
Runner-Up: David Fincher - Fight Club

This simply had to go to Quentin. Kill Bill was an intensive, 2-volume production, and it was awesome. Actors from different continents worked together flawlessly. The cinematography was, at times, breathtaking, and the action was pure entertainment. The deal maker, for me, was the scene in Volume 2 where The Bride was buried alive. I remember sitting in the theater feeling like I was in that coffin with her. Tarantino is, right now, the best director making movies in Hollywood, and Kill Bill is his directoral masterpiece.

Best Picture
Winner: Fight Club
Runner-Up: The Big Lebowski

Regarding this one, I knew where I was going from the get go. By the way, I lied when I said, in the explanation for Best Actor, that Fight Club was one of my favorite movies. It is my favorite movie - no "one of the"s needed. It is as funny as Lebowski, as cool as The Matrix, as poingiant as American Beauty, as well-acted as Fear & Loathing. The cast, form the three stars all the way down to the tiniest characters from one scene, is incredible. The dialogue, from the opening line to the final one, is phenomenal. The directing, the special effects, the chemistry between all of the players - everything about this movie is top-notch. I cannot point to a single flaw. If anyone out there is interested in making movies and wants to know which film to study, I would point to this one.

Ok, fantasy baseball update.

First off, 'Roid Rage released SS/3B Jose Valentin and signed SS/2B Clint Barmes. Also, 'Roid Rage activated Justin Morneau from the disabled list and released RP Shingo Takatsu.

Paper Street Soap Co released RP Mike Stanton and signed RP Todd Williams.

This was another good week for both 'Roid Rage and Paper Street. 'Roid Rage moved up another spot in the standings to 4th, which is the final playoff spot. Paper Street is currently 6th in their league. The big star of the week for 'Roid Rage was SP Mark Mulder, who had 2 wins and one complete game shut-out after pitching 18 innings without giving up an earned run, and boasting a miniscule whip of 0.56. For Paper Street, it was OF Cliff Floyd, who belted 2 jacks, drove in 7 runs, scored 7 times, stole 2 bases, posted an OBP of .448 and a SLG of .615.

Got some stuff to work on, but I'll try and come back at you later tonight. Till then, P&L...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home