Da Scent

This is my first real attempt at an on-line journal. It'll be parts political, parts personal, parts other. I'll try to keep it interesting, whatever I write. Feedback is appreciated...

UPDATE: Ok, I've taken a step to avoid spammers. So anyone can post comments again, you'll just have to do a word verification first. No big deal, just a minor pain in the ass, courtesy of the fucktards.

Name:
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Aspiring novelist (hey, write, call or e-mail if you can hook me up with a literary agent...no hurries though, I've only just started).

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

NIT Semifinal

I'm only posting because I said I would. This game was a microchasm of the Terrapins' entire season - an absolute goddam disgrace. These fuckers have all the athletic talent in the world, and they showed in the first few minutes that they could have mopped up the floor with this South Carolina team if they were mildly interested in doing so. There is no reason that a team that could beat a number 1 seed twice should even be in this tournament, let alone losing to South fucking Carolina - not North Carolina, SOUTH Carolina- unless most of the time they simply didn't give a shit. And that is on the head coach. This is the most pathetic job of coaching Gary Williams has ever done. It has been all downhill ever since their Championship, and it looks suspiciously like Gary has lost his drive. If the Terps have another embarrassing season like this one next year, maybe it's time they started looking at going in another direction.

On a more positive note, I would like to announce that I intend to nominate myself and several of my friends for the Nobel Prize. Now, we can all go on FOX News and pretend to be experts. If you would like Sean Hannity to refer to you as "Nobel Prize Nominated", let me know sometime in the next month, so I can get your letter written.

There has been some debate among liberals about how the Democrats should be reacting to the Schiavo mess (I know, I know, I said I didn't want to post about this, but I can not ignore what is by far the largest story in politics, however much I do not want it to be). Maureen Dowd wants the Dems to go on an all-out attack (it would be nice to see that, if only to know that they were capable of it). Others believe that this is an issue of which the Dems should steer clear, because it is no-win for them. As usual, the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Congressional Democrats should avoid saying that the feeding tube should or should not be removed. What they should be saying, and saying loudly, is that the United States' Congress has no business getting involved in a matter that should be left up to the family and, if necessary, which it tragically is in this case, the Courts. They should be saying this for 2 reasons:

1 - It's true. Congress hasn't the least bit of jurisdiction here. Didn't anybody read the Constitution they swore to uphold?
2 - It's politically expedient. The majority of Americans favor the removal of the tube, but more importantly, the VAST majority of Americans, regardless of party line, feel that Congress has no business inserting itself in the issue. Even EVANGELICALS feel that way. Link. Every time they are asked about this issue, every Democrat should say, "It is irrelevant how I feel about this. It should not matter. Congress has no business getting involved." It will only make Delay and BushCo look more ridiculous as they continue to press this monumentally unpopular course of action. It's looking more and more like Delay's "Gift from God" Theory was not quite in line with reality...

Ok...it's midnight now, and I'm heading to bed. P&L...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home