Da Scent

This is my first real attempt at an on-line journal. It'll be parts political, parts personal, parts other. I'll try to keep it interesting, whatever I write. Feedback is appreciated...

UPDATE: Ok, I've taken a step to avoid spammers. So anyone can post comments again, you'll just have to do a word verification first. No big deal, just a minor pain in the ass, courtesy of the fucktards.

Name:
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Aspiring novelist (hey, write, call or e-mail if you can hook me up with a literary agent...no hurries though, I've only just started).

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I'm Speechless

This one is from the NY Times, via DK.

Let me first say that I have never, ever advocated any kind of personal attack on the parents of Terri Schiavo. It has been my belief that these poor people have been deluded into believing that there is some way for their daughter to be resucitated, and that they have been used as pawns by creeps like Delay who have, on at least two occasions, admitted to being overjoyed that this case fell into their laps so they could use it for political gain.

But now they've gone and done something that is just plain disgusting. It seems they are selling the list of the people who have supported them in this fight to a right wing direct-marketing firm. Now, all of the people who sent this family money for their legal battle are going to be receiving solicitous snail and e-mails from every pro-life organization in the country.

Do we really live in a society where it is acceptable for parents to milk their suffering daughter's drawn-out death for every dollar it is worth? How much of a cut of this money - $150 to $500 a month per customer - is going to the firm? How much are they going to profit from this poor woman's death? These people see dollar signs everywhere they look, and if you don't see a problem with that, well, it's seriously time to reevaluate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home